Sunday, October 24, 2010

Van Dyke Project--Before and After

 
So, here is an old barn... again. This is a fairly sharp color photo I took during sunset hours. And below, as you can see, is the same print using the Van Dyke process. Now the barn looks REALLY old! Or... at least the image does. I like the antiquated look the Van Dyke process gives. Again, however, I've not been able to take a good photo of the finished product.

I found the most difficult part of printing to be with paper coating, and fixing time. Ideally it would be nice to keep the detail (in the wood of the barn, for instance), but I must have been doing something wrong. There's a lot of trial and error involved, in my opinion--the condition of the solution, how well the paper is coated, the paper texture, exposure to the light, and how long the image is in the fix. It's, dare I say, exhausting!



No comments:

Post a Comment